Guardianship Law

  • A guardian is an individual or institution, such as a bank trust department, appointed by the court to take care of an incapacitated person - called a "ward" - or for the ward's assets.
  • A guardian must be represented by an attorney who will serve as "attorney of record". 
  • Any adult resident of Florida can serve as a guardian.  A close relative of the ward who does not live in Florida may also serve as a guardian. 
  • A guardian who is given authority over any property of the ward must inventory the property, invest it prudently, use it for the ward's support, and account for it by filing detailed annual reports with the court.
  • A guardian of the ward's person may exercise those rights that have been removed from the ward and delegated to the guardian, such as providing medical, mental and personal care services and determining the residential setting best suited for the ward.

Pearson Huff has helped hundreds of families protect their loved ones in guardianships in Florida and should the need arise in your family, we would be happy to speak with you about your loved one's needs.  Please contact us or see this pamphlet from The Florida Bar if you have any questions relating to guardianships.